Saturday, March 3, 2012

On Scaling Peaks

Atop the Parrot's Beak (Pico de Loro), Mt. Palay-palay

For the nth time, someone asked me why I climb mountains.  This person is so averse to the idea of walking for hours while carrying a heavy backpack, treading through mud, dirt, and dust while sweating like a pig.  

Realizing that I could never that the relaxing view justifies all the hardships and sacrifices that hikers go through, I decided to tell him of how Mt Kinabalu and the other mountains I climbed gave me a different perspective on life, challenges, obstacles, and success. 

Scaling peaks has taught me humility, perseverance, and appreciation and gratitude for the simple things in life. It has taught me the importance of pressing on despite the odds, of facing life's difficulties one problem at a time, and of conquering my fears, my weaknesses, and my doubts.

As Edmund Hillary, the first man to successfully scale Mt. Everest, aptly said, "It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."

The author Harold V. Melchert also had this to say: “Live your life each day as you would climb a mountain. An occasional glance toward the summit keeps the goal in mind, but many beautiful scenes are to be observed from each new vantage point. Climb slowly, steadily, enjoying each passing moment; and the view from the summit will serve as a fitting climax for the journey.”

Conquer your fears, go beyond your limits, overcome the obstacles.
Enjoy the trek, enjoy the journey, live life to the fullest!



Sending you happy thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails